A Natural Deodorant That Actually Works

Schmidt's Natural Deodorant

I've been looking for a natural deodorant for ages now and all the ones I've tried just haven't cut the mustard. A couple of weeks ago I saw Cruelty Free Becky mention Schmidt's Rose & Vanilla Deodorant Stick and I knew I had to try it. I love anything that smells of Vanilla or Rose, so the two together sounded just perfect.

Schmidt's Naturals is the brain-child of Jaime Schmidt who wanted to make products that would benefit her family's health. In 2010 during the Maker Movement Jaime noticed the lack of natural deodorant offerings on the market and decided that it was time to change the way people think about natural deodorants. Jaime refused to compromise on effectiveness and invested in research and testing which proved that her formula effectively neutralises odour, helps absorb wetness, feels good on the skin and smells amazing (I can definitely vouch for this!). Schmidt's deodorant spread like wildfire throughout Northwest America and quickly sold out in retail stores,
boutiques and online. Entrepreneur Michael Cammarata heard of the brand's success and with his help Schmidt's deodrants are now sold in stores and online worldwide.

Schmidt's deodorants are 100% natural and certified vegan, cruelty free and gluten free. They are aluminium free and use plant-based powders instead to help absorb wetness. The non-greasy, non-sticky formula makes you feel like your not wearing any deodorant at all and you really don't need to use a lot of it either. I use around 3 swipes per underarm and that lasts me all day, including going to the gym after work.

I can confirm that this does all that it says on the tin and more. First of all it smells absolutely divine - one of the best smells my nose has ever had the pleasure of smelling! I know that this is a personal preference but they do a few different scents so I'm sure there is one for everyone. The fragrance is much stronger than I anticipated but not over powering, which is great. I keep smelling my armpits throughout the day, the smell is that good!

The formula itself works really well. The thing about natural deodorants you have to get used to is that you will sweat more than when using a non-natural deodorant, but this is a good thing as non-natural deodorants block your pores which isn't good for your skin. Schmidt's deodorant allows your skin to breathe but neutralises any odour, replacing it with a nice scent instead. In my case Rose and Vanilla. Schmidt's formula does claim to help absorb wetness naturally but since this is the first natural deodorant I've liked I can only really compare it to non-natural ones and I definitely sweat more now. As a gym goer though I can confirm that it does keep any odours at bay and even after a 30 minute cardio session where I'm pretty much melting, my armpits still smell lovely - in fact the fragrance seems to be more present when I'm in the gym which means I don't have to worry about smelling of BO while I'm working out.

The stick form is much, much better than having to stick your finger into a pot and rub the product on with your fingers (been there, done that, didn't want the t-shirt thanks)! It's great for travelling and it's actually a bigger stick than I thought(!) - I can see this lasting me a good few months. When applying it can drag on my skin a little sometimes, which can make my underarms a bit sore if I've just shaved, but it's not overly painful or irritating. I find that if you do it straight from the shower when your skin is still a bit damp you get a smoother application. If you do have sensitive underarms then I'd maybe try the Sensitive Skin versions instead.

As you can probably tell I'm really impressed with this deodorant. If you're looking for a natural deodorant I would 100% recommend Schmidt's.

This year Schmidt's is expanding it's reach to 'include new innovations throughout the bathroom and household', which sounds very exciting. I can't wait to see what they come up with next.


Kayleigh x

Labels: ,