New The Body Shop Products

Body Shop SPF and Foundation

I love The Body Shop. I've tried several of their products and ranges over the last few years and there isn't much that I haven't liked. I know some people don't buy from The Body Shop as they are owned by L'Oreal who aren't cruelty free (boo L'Oreal), but I personally don't take into account parent companies when I buy from a cruelty free brand and you can read more about why here.

I was looking for a new foundation a couple of months ago and The Body Shop's Fresh Nude Foundation had brilliant recommendations, so I thought I would give it a go. I also needed a new SPF as my old one had gone off, so I picked up the Skin Defence Multi-Protection Essence from them too while I was there. I've been using both for around 6 weeks now and I thought it was time to review them for you guys.

Skin Defence Mutli-Protection Essence - £18.00

I try and remember to use SPF every day to protect my skin, but I don't always remember so I've been working this into my morning routine and I'm doing well so far. I've only forgotten a couple of days in the past 6 weeks! It's especially important to remember to use SPF the morning after using a glycolic peel as your skin is super sensitive after these treatments.

The Body Shop's Skin Defence Multi-Protection Essence is pretty pricey at £18.00 but it is SPF 50 and has UVA Protection of PA++++. I don't mind paying a little extra for something that ensures my skin is well protected. It also includes anti-oxidants to protect your skin from pollutants and red algae extract and vitamin C to brighten the skin.

This is a lightweight cream that easily spreads over the skin and doesn't leave a white cast. It has the texture of a lotion and sinks in really easily, so you don't have to wait around too long before starting your make up. Speaking of which I find that this is a brilliant base for makeup as it smooths the texture of my skin and creates an even base. I actually don't use a primer anymore as I find that this does a great job on it's own. It will come in so handy for travelling as I can skip taking a primer with me and use this instead.

Some SPFs I have used before have been quite thick and blocked my pores creating breakouts, but this one doesn't break me out at all, which is great. I think that is one of the reasons that I steered away from SPF for so long, but the first one I tried just didn't suit my skin. I think I've found a great one now in The Body Shop's Skin Defence Multi-Protection Essence and I don't plan on changing it anytime soon.

SPF and Foundation Swatches

Fresh Nude Foundation - £15.00

After I got back from Florida I didn't need to wear foundation as the sun had done wonders for my skin, but within a few weeks of being back in good old blighty my skin had gone back to it's usual uneven self. I don't have particularly bad skin but I have redness around my nose, dark under eye circles and an uneven texture to my skin so a foundation makes me feel that little bit better about my face! I have combination skin - dry patches on my cheeks and a slightly oily t-zone, but the dry patches do lessen in the summer and get slightly worse in the winter and they're starting to show again now actually :(.

With this in mind I tried out the Fresh Nude Foundation. The Body Shop claim that this is a hydrating foundation that will leave the skin feeling comfortable all day. It has a semi-matte finish to mimic the natural look of fresh skin with a glow. It includes English Rose Water and Aloe Vera to hydrate the skin and claims up to 24 hour moisturisation.

I agree that this foundation is hydrating and it sits really nicely on my skin. I would call this a medium coverage foundation and can be easily built up to give a thicker coverage in any areas that need it, without becoming cakey on the skin. It blends in great and it's that natural looking that I don't look like I have any foundation on when I'm wearing it - just lovely, flawless skin. There is quite a good shade range and the shade Chelsea Porcelain is a perfect match for me, however this is the fairest shade and I know a few people who are paler than me. The Body Shop do Lightening Drops though, which might help with this problem, but I haven't tried them personally. It also includes SPF 15 which is a great addition to any foundation and provides that extra bit of protection.

The only thing about the foundation that I find is a little annoying is that it can settle in dry patches and make them look really obvious. I didn't have this problem at first but as my skin is starting to become drier the foundation is settling in patches on my cheeks, making me look a little scaly - which is never good! I have just bought a new moisturiser for winter though, so I'm hoping this will help, but it's worth bearing in mind if you have particularly dry skin.

Overall this has become my go to foundation over the last few weeks and I use it pretty much every day. I love the natural finish it leaves and the way that it doesn't look obvious on my skin. This paired with the Skin Defence is a perfect match and I love both of these products.

Have you tried any of these?

Kayleigh x

Labels: , ,