Instagram, Twitter, Blogs: They all portray women working out in tight yoga pants or leggings. Which is fine if you're that way inclined, but I'm just so not! No matter what I do I just can't get on with wearing bottoms that are too clingy when I'm at the gym - they irritate me too much. So here are 5 reasons why I personally don't wear leggings to the gym.
1. They come down when I'm squatting. Because they're so tight they ride down when I'm doing squats and worrying about whether my bum is showing is definitely something I don't need when trying to concentrate on lifting 35kgs without falling on previously mentioned bottom! (35kgs is my personal best and I'm super proud of that!)
2. Unwanted attention. When I'm in the gym I just want to get on with my sets and I like to keep myself to myself. I see guys openly staring at some of the girls in my gym and it's usually at their arse and usually when they're squatting! Don't get me wrong most guys in the gym are just there to lift weights and ignore you, but there's always one or two that are interested in the girls more than the weights!
3. I think my legs look funny. This is probably the main reason why I don't like tight leggings. I have thick thighs and a bit of a belly (but that's why I'm going to the gym) and I feel as though my legs look massive and not in a good muscly way but in a fat way. In short, they show every lump and bump! A definite no no for me, as I like to feel confident in the gym and not self-conscious.
4. They make my legs sweat. And then they stick to my legs, which is not ideal when you're jogging/trying to jog (who am I kidding? Walking!) on the treadmill as they make my legs feel claustrophobic.
5. They give me really bad camel toe. Disgusting I know and some people may say this is over sharing but it's a real thing for me and it's annoying as hell. I don't want to spend my valuable gym time wondering if people can see my camel toe sticking out the bottom of my top. Gym problems right there!
So in conclusion loose joggers are the way forward for me. They're just so easy to wear when working out, but they do have to have cuffed bottoms otherwise they flap around and that's not comfortable either. It's just one less thing for me to worry about when in the gym and I can concentrate more on what weight I'm lifting instead of how I look or feel in leggings. I have nothing against girls who do choose to wear leggings to the gym, this is just my preference and I thought some of the reasons I don't wear leggings might be interesting/entertaining for some of you! I wish I did like to wear leggings as there are some amazing patterns out there, but alas they're just not for me.
What do you like to wear to workout in?
Labels: Health & Fitness